Skip to main content

The birth of Cara-Mia Kriel (rewrite)

Cara-Mia 15 Februarie 2010
Planned water birth, at birth centre, midwife assisted

Valentines day ... the day of relationships, marriages, couples and all thing lovey dovey. My baby could not choose this day as her birth date ... her mom is SINGLE.

She didn't chose that day, she waited until 02;00 am on the 15th. When you are pregnant and you wake up in a wet bed you can assume one of two things, baby got hold of your bladder and you peed the bed or your water broke. My water broke. Woke mom, grabbed the bags and headed to the Linkwood birth centre in Edenvale.

A small piece of back story I was 37 weeks pregnant when I decided on a birthing place and a midwife. I wrote a two page birthing plan ... you can get really bored in those last few weeks of pregnancy.

So it was straight to the birth pool for me. I made fun of birth and contractions until I puked in the bin and almost broke the bath gripping through the pain of an actual contraction. But it wasn't that bad, compared to like breaking your pinky toe, now that's real pain.So besides the odd contraction every no and then, not regular at all, I was chilling in a hot bath. Trying to keep my eyes open since it is the middle of the night. I sat there for three hours waiting for something, anything.

05:00 am I am over it, I want a bed, I'm not lying here one minute longer. I need sleep. SO out of the bath and in to the bed. Eyes closed sleping like the dead. I assumed they checked on me and babe sometime during that two hours but I was out of it. P.S I really love sleep.

07:00 am Woken by a huge contraction. Want to get in the bath right now. ANd by right now I mean like don't talk to me or touch me, get out of my way. I'm actually very friendly when I'm not in labour.

My mom is the best mom ever. My best friend. No one gets me like she does. I wouldn't want any one else there with me. Not talking just holding me hand. Just being there.

Couldn't quite make it to the bath on my own, knees collapsed and blood was dripping from my vagina. Not cool. Midwife and mom helped me to the bath and for some unexplainable reason I got in to the bath on my hands and knees.

I would later learn that this is very normal, and probably the most comfortable way to birth in.

Midwife instructed me to turn around and sit. And literlay in one movement as I turn the baby the born. Still half asleep and uncomfortable, not hearing or seeing or thinking, I focussed on my moms face and she said take your baby. And there was, in my arms. The most incredible live changeing little thing, lying quiet in my arms.

We sat there in the nice warm water and waited for the cord to stop pulsating, mom took baby to the room and I waited to birth my placenta. No ever talks much about that part, that feeling is super weird. When that sac comes out. It doesn't move like a baby its just a blob.

My perfect little girl latched like a pro, we sat there staring at each other. And then I wanted my bed, like my actual bed. Since she came before her due date there were no private rooms available and i had to lie in the ward. Didn't like that.

10:00 We went home and got in bed. The family came round to stare at my little piece of perfection. She was special from the day of her birth. The most amazing little girl. I hope every one knows some one like her in their life time.

And that is her story, how she came into the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby almost on the way ...

Now time is really flying! Only a few more weeks then we meet our baby girl. Getting a little nervous because baby is lying posterior, but like some one said its just another form of normal. But from what I read I really hope baby turns. With all that is going on complications is the last thing I need. Me and hubby discussed her name again, he wanted us to switch the two names so she is Callisa Carmin, luckily that day her baby bag arrived, which already had the name Carmin on. Mommy wins yay!

So what is the plan with all this unplanedness?

What a year, I am actually amazed I survived, then again its not over yet .... Pregnancy is so hard and it sucks! Now add a 3 year old who wants to rule the house and a very dependent almost 1 year old and you've got yourself a madhouse.  They wake up at 5 am with an energy level of a kizilion, always hungry. The one talks non stop while the other rolls down the tiolet paper, which he can now reach. There is toys and food everywhere, thank God for a maid every second day since my huge belly makes it a little hard to bend down at the moment. By 8 am before daddy is even awake Mister has to sleep again. And apparently there is nothing more satisfying than asking your mom 10 000 questions the more she tells you to please be quiet. Finally asleep the Madam is hungry AGAIN!! And oh we can be so very specific about what we want.  So now I have maybe an hour, Madam gets to watch one dvd. Do I take a bath or shower, do I get dressed, do I make myself breakfast or maybe just go lie down aga

Can't imagine doing anything else

I get that being a stay at home mom is not for everyone.   But for me it is my life’s fulfillment.   I can’t imagine myself doing or being anything else than a mom. I don’t miss working at all.   I get up in the morning and it excites me to know I’ll be spending my whole day with my children.   And let me tell you two small people can keep you very busy.   It’s not like I sit around and do nothing all day.   I play with them and stimulate their brains.   We go places and see things. We sure do have our lazy pajama days. But that is ok because we can do it together.   I’m so blessed to have a successful husband who supports us.   And who also supports me being at home.   We made the decision together and we know it is what’s best for us. Do family and friends always understand it? No not at all. But we love it and we are confident in our decision. My children mean everything to me, and in the end they are only my responsibility.   I can’t imagine giving my special gif